Newborns and children are more susceptible to illness due to their underdeveloped immune systems and high exposure to germs. Understanding how these illnesses affect children is essential, and promoting ways of managing them before they progress is essential. Consulting your pediatrician can help you gain specific advice on managing common childhood illnesses and, through their care, can provide ways to help you prevent illness from happening in the first place.
Prevention Tips For Common Childhood Illnesses
Between daycare, school, and other factors, children are constantly exposed to new germs daily. It takes a lot of time for their immune systems to mature, so it’s common for children to come down with coughs, sneezes, and other minor illnesses.
Fortunately, there are many ways your pediatrician can help you prevent some of the most common viruses and illnesses children experience. To keep your child healthy and happy, our team at Aeris Pediatrics will share some prevention tips and valuable information about the most common illnesses and how to prevent them. Some examples include:
- Colds: Children can get lots of colds throughout the year, and they are caused by airborne viruses that spread through coughing or sneezing. Symptoms include fever, coughing, sneezing, congestion, sore throat, and body aches. While they typically go away in a few days, children with symptoms that don’t improve after a week should see their pediatrician for treatment.
- Flu: The Influenza virus can spread easily during the fall and winter months, and while they share many symptoms similar to the common cold, they can become more severe and harmful for children with compromised immune systems. Children should stay at home during the flu and avoid spreading the virus with lots of bed rest.
- Chickenpox: Chickenpox is an airborne disease that spreads through coughs and sneezes. Rashes with red bumps, fatigue, and lack of appetite are common symptoms. While these mild symptoms can go away with medicine, they can lead to severe complications for children with weakened immune systems.
Many childhood illnesses tend to spread in similar ways, and there are some preventative steps you can take to help ward off viruses, bacteria, and other illnesses from affecting your health.
- Vaccinations: All recommended childhood vaccines are scientifically proven to be safe and effective and can easily help prevent illnesses such as the flu, chickenpox, and Covid-19. Follow your pediatrician’s vaccination schedule to keep them up with their vaccines!
- Wash Their Hands: Helping your child wash their hands can be a powerful way to prevent illness. Always encourage them to wash their hands before and after eating meals, after using the bathroom, and after playing when outside.
- Cover Coughs and Sneezes: Covering their coughs and sneezes with a tissue or elbow can prevent many common illnesses like colds and flu.
- Disinfect Toys and Electronics: Many forms of bacteria can live on surfaces for days, and using alcohol wipes or rubbing alcohol can help kill off those germs quickly to reduce spread.
Book An Appointment With Aeris Pediatrics Today
At Aeris Pediatrics, Dr. Jared Hansen has over 15 years of experience as a pediatrician helping families receive the pediatric care they need most. By scheduling a wellness visit with our pediatrician, you can learn about common illnesses that pose risks to your child and learn how to prevent them.